Friday, February 28, 2020

new from above/ground press: Montcorbier, by Guy Birchard

Montcorbier
Guy Birchard
$5



In this the thirtieth year of my life
Having stomached all disgrace
Neither most foolish nor half wise
Notwithstanding all the clouts
Received
At the hands of Thibault d'Aussigny
Bishop though he be, making the sign of the cross
Down the street, he's no one to me. 

Nor Monsignor nor my lord
I had from him nowt but shite
I owe him nor fealty nor homage
Am nor his serf nor bitch
Who fed me on corn dodgers
And water one whole summer
Proved pure stingy, "beneficent" less than tight,
God render unto him what he to me. 

And if anyone objects
And calls this blasphemy
Well, feel me, it aint idle
Bad-mouthing
I have worse to say
If that's mercy he was showing
Jesus king of paradise
Commend, body and soul, the like to him.


published in Ottawa by above/ground press
February 2020
a/g subscribers receive a complimentary copy


Shy Canadianismo by nature (“having none hath no care to defend it”), Guy Birchard has been just a mother tongue poetry bum these many years with small official second language.  

This is Birchard’s second chapbook with above/ground press, after VALEDICTIONS (2019).

To order, send cheques (add $1 for postage; in US, add $2; outside North America, add $5) to: rob mclennan, 2423 Alta Vista Drive, Ottawa ON K1H 7M9. E-transfer or PayPal at at rob_mclennan (at) hotmail.com or the PayPal button at www.robmclennan.blogspot.com

No comments: