Wednesday, July 8, 2020

new from above/ground press: my beatrice, by Orchid Tierney

my beatrice
orchid tierney
$5


VII

My Beatrice & I watch the primary
debates because we are monstrous fictions.
This, excites Beatrice, is the moment when
the evil Brain arrives from Planet Arous.
I look backward to the nuclear sequence
where everyone is incinerated. Then it is
three minutes to midnight. A woman without
perfume refuses Dante’s future. I believe in
demons & sprites. I believe in canopies
so tired from painful touching. There is
little difference between twilights & mourning.
Beatrice, some days her muse will ace her desire.
“If you’re ever going to love me,” put on the drier.
I will deliver her punchline after I forget my joke.

published in Ottawa by above/ground press
July 2020
a/g subscribers receive a complimentary copy

Orchid Tierney
is an Aotearoa-New Zealand poet and scholar, currently living in Gambier, Ohio, where she teaches at Kenyon College. She is the author of a year of misreading the wildcats (Operating System, 2019) and Earsay (TrollThread 2016), and chapbooks ocean plastic (BlazeVOX 2019), blue doors (Belladonna* Press), Gallipoli Diaries (GaussPDF 2017), the world in small parts (Dancing Girl Press, 2012), and Brachiaction (Gumtree, 2012). Other poems, reviews, and scholarship have appeared in Jacket2, Journal of Modern Literature, and Western Humanities Review, among others. She is a consulting editor for the Kenyon Review.

To order, send cheques (add $1 for postage; in US, add $2; outside North America, add $5) to: rob mclennan, 2423 Alta Vista Drive, Ottawa ON K1H 7M9. E-transfer or PayPal at at rob_mclennan (at) hotmail.com or the PayPal button at www.robmclennan.blogspot.com

No comments: